MegaProject 1097: The Secretariat of Urban Development publishes national competition for Light Rail Vehicle PPP Project
This article is part of a daily series of MegaProjects articles. If you want to know more about PPP projects with a considerable size visit our MegaProjects section. You can receive them by email on a daily basis.
The State of Bahia, through the Secretariat of Urban Development (SEDUR), has launched a tender process for the development of the Light Rail Train (LRT) of Salvador through the PPP model.
The object of the partnership is the implementation and operation of LRT, or another equivalent mode of public transport on rail or guide, driven by electric propulsion and with a capacity of transportation of at least 600 passengers. The line will have a total length of 18.5 km.
The project was structured through external consulting contracting by state-owned Empresa Baiana de Ativos SA - Bahiainveste.
The duration of the concession is 20 years and the estimated investment of responsibility of the future private partner is R$1.5 billion (US$471.83 million). The model also provides public resources of R$100 million (US$31,45 million).
The public consultation of the public-private partnership was held in December 2016 and the first bidding attempt occurred in May 2017, but was suspended due to injunction within the scope of popular action.
Interested parties must submit their proposals on or before March 19, 2018.
We have recently reported about several PPP projects in Brazil:
- Metropolitan Industrial Complex (CIM) PPP Project in Aparecida de Goiânia
- Concession for operations of São Paulo metro lines 5 and 17
- 34,000-unit housing PPP in São Paulo
- Porto Alegre Salgado Filho International Airport concession
- Fortaleza Pinto Martins International Airport concession
- Desalination Plant PPP Project
- Concession for water supply and sewage services in Orlândia
- Northern section of the Rodoanel Mário Covas highway PPP Concession