MegaProject 30: Two consortia shortlisted for North West Rail Link in New South Wales
- AnsaldoBreda - Ansaldo STS
- Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi (BTMU)
- John Laing
- Leighton - CIMIC
- Macquarie Capital - Macquarie Group
- McConnell Dowell Constructors
- Plenary Group
- Serco Group
- SNC-Lavalin Group
This article is part of a daily series of MegaProjects articles. If you want to know more about PPP projects with a considerable size visit our MegaProjects section. You can receive them by email on a daily basis.
The New South Wales Government on April 30 shortlisted two consortia to move forward to the next stage of the Operations, Trains and Systems contract of North West Rail Link following an Expression of Interest stage that extended for more than five months.
On 19 February 2013 three consortiums made up of a combined 17 organisations from Australia and overseas lodged expressions of interest for the OTS contract. They were :
- Northwest Rapid Transit - MTR Corporation (Australia), John Holland, Leighton Contractors, UGL Rail Services, Plenary Group;
- TransForm - Serco Australia, Bombardier Transportation Australia, SNC Lavalin Capital, McConnell Dowell Constructors (Aust), John Laing Investments, Macquarie Capital Group; and
- The Pulse Consortium - Keolis Australia, Downer EDI, Obrascon Huarte Lain, Ansaldo STS Australia, Mitsubishi Corporation, Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ.
The two shortlisted consortia are:
- Northwest Rapid Transit - MTR Corporation (Australia), John Holland, Leighton Contractors, UGL Rail Services, Plenary Group; and
- TransForm - Serco Australia, Bombardier Transportation Australia, SNC Lavalin Capital, McConnell Dowell Constructors (Aust), John Laing Investments, Macquarie Capital Group.
The estimate investment is AUS$3 billion.
The contract includes:
- Building the eight new railway stations;
- Delivering the commuter car parks for 4,000 cars;
- Supplying the new generation rapid transit single deck trains;
- Building and operating the stabling and maintenance facility at Tallawong Road;
- Installing tracks, signalling, mechanical and electrical systems;
- Converting the Epping to Chatswood Rail Link for the new rapid transit system;
- Operating the North West Rail Link - including all maintenance work.