MegaProject 532: Philippines' NEDA to approve three PPP projects
- Light Rail Transit (LRT) Line 6 PPP project in Cavite
- Light Rail Transit (LRT) Line 4 PPP project
- Redevelopment of Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) PPP project
This article is part of a daily series of MegaProjects articles. If you want to know more about PPP projects with a considerable size visit our MegaProjects section. You can receive them by email on a daily basis.
According to sources, the Philippines' National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) Board has plans to approve three public private partnership (PPP) projects.
According to PPP Center executive director Cosette Canilao, the three transport PPP projects, the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Development Project, the Light Rail Transit (LRT) Line 4 and LRT Line 6, are part of the agenda of the NEDA Board.
- NAIA Development project involves the upgrade of the existing terminals of NAIA, increase the airport's capacity and handle the facility's operations and maintenance. The total project investment is estimated at P74.56 billion (US$1.583 billion).
- LRT Line 4 project involves the design, construction, financing, operations and maintenance of an 11 km rail that will link the SM City Taytay, the intersection of Ortigas Avenue, and EDSA. The total project investment is estimated at P50.15 billion (US$1.065 billion).
- LRT Line 6 project involves the development of a 19 km railway that will link Niyog, Bacoor, the terminus of the LRT 1 CAVEX extension, and Dasmariñas City. The total project investment is estimated at P64 billion (US$1.359 billion).
Additionally, the NEDA Board has also announced plans to approve some amendments to existing projects including the P122.8-billion Laguna Lakeshore Expressway Dike project.
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has estimated that Philippines' infrastructure requirements are approximately US$127 billion during the period between 2010 and 2020.
The country is currently working on several tender processes to award PPP projects. Throughout last month we have reported on six PPP projects in tender stage:
- North-South Commuter Railway (South Line)
- Regional Prison Facilities
- Philippine airport package A & airport package B
- Road Transport IT Infrastructure Project Phase II
- New Centennial Water Source Project