MegaProject 546: Miami-Dade County mulls P3 pipeline
This article is part of a daily series of MegaProjects articles. If you want to know more about PPP projects with a considerable size visit our MegaProjects section. You can receive them by email on a daily basis.
Miami-Dade County, located in the State of Florida (USA), has announced plans to develop infrastructure projects through the public private partnership (P3) model.
This announcement comes after the celebration on Sept. 25th of the P3 Pipeline, a forum that links Miami-Dade County government officials to the private sector to discuss possible P3 projects. The projects that could be included in the PPP program of the County are, among others:
- Building a new privately-operated wastewater treatment facility in western Miami-Dade. The total project investment is estimated at US$2.1 billion.
- Extending American Airlines' concourse at Miami International Airport to hold at least 20 more gates. The total project investment is estimated at US$700 million.
- Baylink, a rail line connection between Miami Beach and downtown Miami, the so-called Baylink. The total project investment is estimated at US$529 million.
- Upgrading and expanding the county's extensive network of correctional institutions. The projects need over US$1.4 billion in investment.
- Developing a new cruise liner terminal a the Port of Miami. The total project investment is estimated at US$150 million.
Miami-Dade's cultural affairs director has recently announced that the county is interested in partnering with the private sector to develop high rise towers at the downtown cultural complex, which is home to History-Miami and the central library.
Later, Mayor Carlos Gimenez disclosed that there are plans to carry out several infrastructure project through PPP model, including all future transit projects.
Additionally, the P3 Institute of Florida International University has prepared a list of projects adding roughly US$7.5 billion which will not be founded by the county. It is understood that these projects could be carried out by teaming up with private developers.Other projects that could be tendered the private sector would be:
- three general maintenance and office facilities that will need an investment of US$120 million,
- an US$20 million African Heritage Cultural Arts Center
- an US$40 million new garage for the Miami-Dade County Auditorium
Miami-Dade County is located in the southeastern part of the State of Florida. The county has a population of approximately 2.5 million inhabitants making it the most populous county in Florida and the seventh-most populous county in the United States. It is also Florida's third-largest county in terms of land area, with 5,040 km2.Last week we reported on several PPP projects in the USA:
- Philadelphia Southport Marine Terminal Complex
- I-66 road HOT lanes
- PortMiami cruise terminal
- Missouri's I-70 highway
- Washington Metropolitan Area bus fare system