MegaProject 971: Shortlist for Ottawa’s CAD535 MM Trillium line LRT project
- SNC-Lavalin Group
- Plenary Group
- Tomlinson Group
- Fengate Capital
- Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles - CAF
- Thomas Cavanagh Construction
- Sacyr Group - Sacyr Concesiones
- EllisDon Corporation - EllisDon Capital
- Dragados - ACS
- Amber Infrastructure Group
This article is part of a daily series of MegaProjects articles. If you want to know more about PPP projects with a considerable size visit our MegaProjects section. You can receive them by email on a daily basis.
The City of Ottawa in Ontario has announced a shortlist for the design, build, finance and maintenance of the Trillium Line Extension project, part of the city's Stage 2 LRT program.
The following three consortia were shortlisted for the project:
- SNC - Lavalin Group;
- Plenary, RW Tomlinson, Colas and WSP:
- Fengate, Acciona, Thomas Cavanagh, CAF, CIMA+.
The teams returned qualifications on 20 June, along with two other teams:
- Grupo ACS, EllisDon, Dragados;
- Sacyr, Amber.
The project involves the construction of seven new stations, as well as 11km of track and bundled city projects.
Stage 2 LRT is a package of three rail extensions that together represent the next phase of rail rapid transit investment in Ottawa. Ottawa City Council in their unanimous approval of the 2013 Transportation Master Plan prioritized the implementation of the project. The LRT extension is not only part of an official, integrated land-use plan and the City’s Transportation Master Plan, it is also in line with Federal and Provincial commitments for transit expansion.
As we reported in March, an expansion of the scope of the Stage 2 LRT Project was approved, including construction of an additional Maintenance and Storage Facility in the Moodie Drive area, final alignment changes and the following extensions to train lines:
- Confederation Line West: beyond Bayshore to Moodie Drive, and southwest to Algonquin College;
- Confederation Line East: beyond Place d’Orleans to Trim Road;
- Trillium Line extension south to Bowesville in Riverside South; and
- An Airport Rail Link from South Keys Station on the Trillium Line.
The budget for the Stage 2 LRT project remains CAD3 billion (US$2.3 billion), as approved in 2015. The new Moodie Extension is included within the original budget, while the Trim and Airport Extensions are conditional on receiving 100 per cent federal and provincial funding.
The Stage 2 expansion of the O-Train network will be undertaken through two new procurements:
- A new CAD2.5 billion Design-Build-Finance competition for the Confederation Line East and West extensions (includes Airport, Trim and Highway 417, and City-bundled works); and
- A new CAD535 million Design-Build-Finance-Maintain competition for the Trillium Line extension to the south.