RFP issued for York Viva Bus Rapid Transit project
- Aecon Group
- EllisDon Corporation - EllisDon Capital
- Hatch Mott MacDonald
- OHL Group - OHL Concesiones
Metrolinx has issued the request for proposals (RFP) to three teams pre-qualified to deliver the next phase of the York Viva Bus Rapid Transit (vivaNext) rapidways project in Vaughan and Markham, Canada.
The three teams shortlisted are the following:
- EDCO: EllisDon, Coco Paving Inc., IBI Group Inc., WSP Canada Inc., LEA Consulting Ltd., and Peto MacCallum Ltd.
- m7 Transit Partners: OHL Construction Canada Inc., Miller Infrastructures Inc., Black & MacDonald Ltd., Delcan Corporation - a Parsons Company, Morrison Hershfield Ltd., Applied Research Associates Inc., Urkkada Technology Ltd., and BMO Capital Markets.
- York RapidLINK Constructors: Aecon Construction & Materials Ltd., Dufferin Construction Company. AECOM, Hatch Mott MacDonald Ltd., T2 Utility Engineers Inc., and National Bank Financial Ltd.
The expanded vivaNext rapid transit system will make it easy to travel in and around York Region and connect to other transit systems across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA). The vivaNext rapidways will reduce travel times and increase reliability of existing transit service along the heavily congested sections of the transit corridors. Dedicated bus lanes will provide fast and reliable transit service, while reducing delays caused by frequent stops to pick up and drop off passengers. This expansion includes:
- Approximately 12 kilometres of dedicated bus lanes in Vaughan along Highway 7, from Helen Street to Interchange Way/Edgeley Boulevard, and from Bowes Road to Yonge Street via the existing Centre Street and Bathurst Street Vivaroute.
- Approximately one kilometre of dedicated bus lanes in downtown Markham. Flexibility will be built into the design to allow for coordination with future development in Markham Centre.
The project involves the design, build and finance of the next phase of vivaNext rapidways.
Infrastructure Ontario, on behalf of Metrolinx is managing the Alternative Financing and Procurement (AFP) process for this portion of the vivaNext rapidways. Once the contract is awarded, York Region Rapid Transit Corporation (YRRTC) will manage all day-to-day construction operations and York Region will operate YRT/Viva service. Metrolinx will retain ownership of the rapidway asset.
The York Viva BRT project received $1.4 billion from the Government of Ontario, and is an example of The Big Move in action - Metrolinx's 25-year plan to implement a common vision for transportation in the GTHA. The project is being implemented by Metrolinx, an agency of the Province of Ontario.
Bruce McCuaig, Metrolinx President and CEO stated:
The steady and continued progress of the vivanext transit expansion project is a success story for York Region Transit, The Regional Municipality of York and Metrolinx. We are pleased to be part of this important project - one that improves regional connectivity, increases capacity and reliability in key corridors and makes transit the more attractive travel option for commuters.
Bill Fisch, York Region Chairman and CEO commented:
Together with the Government of Ontario, we continue to work hard to build rapid transit throughout York Region and help reduce congestion by providing our residents and visitors with an attractive and efficient means of travel to and from work, school, shopping and entertainment destinations.