MegaProject 461: Sacyr Concesiones-led team wins road concession in Colombia
This article is part of a daily series of MegaProjects articles. If you want to know more about PPP projects with a considerable size visit our MegaProjects section. You can receive them by email on a daily basis.
The Colombian National Infrastructure Agency (ANI) has awarded the Puerta de Hierro - Carreto - Palmar de Varela & Carreto - Cruz del Viso Highway PPP project to a Sacyr Concesiones-led team
The team beat out competition from three other shortlisted consortia:
- Autopistas del Norte S.P.V: KMA Construcciones S.A.; Ortiz Construcciones y Proyectos S.A.; Equipo Universal S.A.; Valores y Contratos S.A.
- Infraestructura Vial Para Colombia: CSS Constructores S.A.; Controladora de Operaciones de Infraestructura S.A de C.V.; ALCA Ingenieros S.A.S; Estyma Estudios y Manejos S.A.
- Estructura Plural Hidalgo e Hidalgo Colombia SAS Construcción y Administración SA.: Hidalgo e Hidalgo Sucursal Colombia S.A.; Hidalgo e Hidalgo Colombia S.A.S.; Construcción y Administración S.A.
The project involves the upgrade of a 202 km road with construction estimated to take three years. The project comprises, among others, the road upgrade, route improvement, Carmen de Bolivar bypass and junction Route del Sol Sector 3.
The total project investment is estimated at P450 billion pesos (US$182 million).
The project is part of the second wave of 4G highway projects, which includes a total of 9 concessions. This second wave includes a total investment of about P11,800 billion (US$4.64 billion). 4G involves the construction of about 8,000km of roads, including 1,200km of four-lane highways, with the majority of projects to be carried out as PPPs.
In December 2014 ANI published the project's tender documents. At that time the agency also published tender documents for three other road projects, which are also part of the second wave of 4G highway projects:
- Santa Ana - Mocoa - Neiva: The project involves the development of a new 54 km road and the upgrade of a 422 km road.
- Rumichaca - Pasto; The project involves the development of a new 74 km highway and the upgrade of the road.
- Santander de Quilichao - Popayán; The project involves the development of a new 76 km road.