Bidders line-up for London City Airport

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest news and business opportunities in your inbox
Bidders line-up for London City Airport

According to sources, two teams are planning to bid for the London City Airport, a transaction that could be closed for an amount of £2 billion (US$3.14 billion).

Global Infrastructure Partner (GIP) owns a 75% stake in the airport while the remaining 25% stake is owned by Oaktree Capital. GIP has hired Credit Suisse to handle the disposal of the airport.

The two announced bidders are the following:

London City Airport is located in the Royal Docks in the London Borough of Newham, some 11 km east of the City of London. It has a single 1,500 m long runway and due to its proximity to the City, mainly serves business travellers.

In 2014, London City served 3.6 million passengers, an 8% increase compared with 2013 and a record total for the airport. It was the fifth busiest airport in passengers and aircraft movements serving the London area after Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted and Luton and the 15th busiest in the UK. A total of 10 airlines operate flights to 50 European destinations, as well as a New York service.

GIP bougth its stake in the east London airport from Irish businessman Dermot Desmond for £750 million (US$1.17 billion) in 2006.

Share this news

Join us

In order to get full access to News section, you must have a full subscription. You can check all the benefits of becoming a member and purchase a subscription on our membership page.