CMA CGM, Bollore and CHEC win Kribi port concession

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest news and business opportunities in your inbox
CMA CGM, Bollore and CHEC win Kribi port concession

A consortium formed by CMA CGM, Bolloré and China Harbour Engineering Company (CHEC) has been selected as the preferred bidder for the contract to cover maintenance and operation of a terminal at the Kribi deep water port in southern Cameroon.

Vessels from all companies, up to 8,000 TEUs capacity will be able to call this 1.4 million TEU capacity container terminal. When finished, it will be composed of a 700 meter length wharf and a 32 hectare platform made for 16 meters draught. A first 350 meter length wharf will be operational within a few months.

The port will play a key role in the export of iron ore and aluminum to international markets. Located on the Gulf of Guinea it will also act as a regional hub for the African Atlantic coast, from Senegal to Gabon. Big capacity vessels will call this port from both the European and Asian markets. Thus, it will supply countries without maritime access such as Tchad and Central African Republic.

Farid T.Salem, CMA CGM Executive Officer, stated:

"We would like to thank the Government of Cameroon for the transparent selection of our offer, which provided the best financial and technical guarantees. CMA CGM and its partners will make Kribi containers terminal an international terminal which will bring dynamism to the Cameroonian economy. With this new terminal, Cameroon will be at the heart of international trade".

Philippe LABONNE, chief executive of Bolloré Africa Logistics commented:

"With the new facility at Kribi, Cameroon's infrastructure network now has a second port hub. The Bolloré Africa Logistics / CMA CGM / CHEC consortium, with its knowhow in shipping, port operation and logistics, will enable the platform at Kribi to play its part in speeding up growth in Cameroon and the region. Direct road and rail links, key to development, will radiate out from the state-of-the-art port infrastructure at Kribi, providing access to the whole region."

The deap-water port construction, which started in 2012, has cost an estimated CFA 500 billion (US$848.8 million). Eximbank China provided 85% of the finance with the remaining 15% coming from the Cameroon government. The construction has been undertaken by the CHEC.

Share this news

Join us

In order to get full access to News section, you must have a full subscription. You can check all the benefits of becoming a member and purchase a subscription on our membership page.