The government of Mato Grosso do Sul, Brazil, plans to launch five tender processes for the concessions of five roads.
The project included in the concessions program are the following:
- MS - 122: 200.6km stretch between Cassilandia (BR - 158) and Tres Lagoas;
- MS - 306: 200.1km stretch between Bolicho Seco (BR - 359) and Cassilandia;
- MS - 135: 33.9km ring road located in Costa Rica;
- MS - 223: 15.1km stretch between the Costa Rica ring road and Cantina; and
- MS - 316: 14.5km stretch between Gaucho Pobre (MS - 306) and Costa Rica ring road.
The projects will involve the development, upgrade, finance, operation and maintenance of the roads for a period of 30 years.
The tender processes are scheduled to be issued on 5 August 2014.
Mato Grosso do Sul plans to develop three more roads through the concession model: MS - 180, MS - 289 and MS - 295. The timeline for these projects has not been disclosed. The three projects have in total about 130km.
Brazil has several transport PPP projects in planning and tender stage. We recently reported about the following projects:
- São Paulo intercity passenger railway. The rail system will be 431km long and have two routes, the Norte-Sul (north-south) and the Leste-Oeste (east-west). This express railway will require more than US$8.9 billion in investment.
- The Porto Alegre subway project. The estimated cost of the project will be R$4.8 billion (US$2 billion). The total length of the metro will be 11.7 km.