Second phase of Jaipur metro to follow PPP route

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest news and business opportunities in your inbox
Second phase of Jaipur metro to follow PPP route

This article is part of a daily series of MegaProjects articles. If you want to know more about PPP projects with a considerable size visit our MegaProjects section. You can receive them by email on a daily basis.

The Jaipur Metro Rail Corporation (JMRC) is mulling the use of a public private partnership (PPP) to develop the phase II of the metro project in Jaipur, Rajasthan, India.

According to sources, several foreign firms are interested in the project and negotiations are underway. The interested companies are, among others:

  • The Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) - Malaysia
  • Maglev Technology Inc - USA
  • China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC)
  • Korea Rail Network Authority (KRNA)

Phase II (North-South Corridor), which is scheduled for completion in 2021, will be a 23 km metro line and will serve 20 stations. The line will connect Sitapura Industrial Area in the South to Ambabari in the North via Ajmeri Gate and MI Road. The tracks will be elevated between Sitapura and Ajmeri Gate and from there it will go underground.

The total investment for phase II is estimated at Rs100 billion (US$1.57 billion). It is expected that the state government provides 40% as viability gap funding to the preferred bidder while the remaining 60% is expected to be borne by the state government and the selected firm.

Construction on the mostly elevated part of the first line, called Phase 1A, comprising 9.63 km of route from Mansarovar to Chandpole Bazaar, started on 13 November 2010, and was completed in 2014. The project's commercial run was delayed first to early 2014, then to December 2014, and finally to April 2015. After receiving safety clearance from Commissioner of Metro Rail Safety (CMRS) in May 2015, Jaipur Metro began commercial service between Chandpole and Mansarovar on 3 June 2015.

The Jaipur Metro Rail system is India's sixth metro rail system. It is also touted as one of the fastest built metro systems in India.

Share this news

Join us

In order to get full access to News section, you must have a full subscription. You can check all the benefits of becoming a member and purchase a subscription on our membership page.