Odebrecht to sell Odebrecht Ambiental

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest news and business opportunities in your inbox
Odebrecht to sell Odebrecht Ambiental

According to sources, Brazil's Odebrecht group has plans to sell two of its businesses to boost cash reserves.

This plans comes after Marcelo Odebrecht resigned as President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the company. After 6 months in detention and given the developments in his court case, Marcelo Odebrecht, on 11 December, decided to formally resign from his post.

Odebrecht has plans to sell Brazilian water and sewage treatment Odebrecht Ambiental, which is valued at about R$6 billion (US$1.49 billion). The firm currently has around R$1.2 billion (US$297 million) in cash reserves and is expected to close 2015 with approximately R$2.3 billion (US$569 million) in revenue.

In January 2014, Brazilian state-owned bank Caixa Economica Federal (CEF) and local pension fund Fundacao dos Economiarios Federais (Funcef) signed a deal to acquire a 20.7% stake in company Odebrecht Ambiental for R$615 million (US$264.6 million) through a capital increase. Funcef acquired a 17.24% stake in Odebrecht Ambiental for R$300 million (US$129.1 million) and Caixa Economica Federal through its infrastructure investment fund Fundo de Investimento do Fundo de Garantia do Tempo de Servico (FI-FGTS) subscribed new shares issued for R$315 million (US$135.5 million) to increase its stake from 26.5% to 30%.

Odebrecht Ambiental, created in 2008 as the sanitation services arm of Odebrecht. Odebrecht Ambientalm, currently serves about 17 million people in Brazil, Mexico and Angola with potable water and sewerage services. The firm also serves industrial clients such as local cellulose company Klabin, Royal Dutch Shell and local iron ore giant Vale.

Odebrech has also plans to sell its 95% stake in the Maracanã stadium concession in the city of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The remaining 5% stake of the stadium is hold by US-based AEG. It is expected that the city of Rio de Janeiro acquires the group's share in the stadium. 

Share this news

Join us

In order to get full access to News section, you must have a full subscription. You can check all the benefits of becoming a member and purchase a subscription on our membership page.