Tisco, Graña y Montero have submitted an unsolicited proposal to develop a light rail project in Arequipa, Peru, through the public private partnership (PPP) model.
Proinversión, Peru's private investment promotion agency, has received the unsolicited proposal, which involves the construction of a 30 km light rail line linking the city's north and south areas. If approved, the project would be operational by 2018.
The total project investment is estimated at US$400 million, of which the private partner would provide 60% and the remaining 40% would be provided by the government. It is expected the the municipality will be responsible for the operation and maintenance of the new transport system.
Arequipa is the capital and largest city of the Arequipa Region and the seat of the Constitutional Court of Peru. It is Peru's second most populous city with 861,145 inhabitants, as well as its third most populous metropolitan area according to Peru's National Institute of Statistics and Informatics (INEI).