Belo Horizonte waste PPP project signed

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest news and business opportunities in your inbox
Belo Horizonte waste PPP project signed

Brazil's Minas Gerais and Consórcio Metropolitano de Tratamento de Resíduos (CMTR) have signed the administrative concession for the treatment of solid waste in Metropolitan Region of Belo Horizonte.

CMTR is formed by  several local companies: Vital Engenharia, a company specialized in integrated waste management, Revita Engenharia, a subsidiary of Grupo Solví, and Construtora Barbosa Mello, a construction company.

The 30 years concession involves the treatment of solid waste in 43 municipalities of the Metropolitan Region of Belo Horizonte, which has a population of about 3 million people and produces about 3 million tonnes of waste per day.

The project also involves the design, build, finance operation and maintenance of a new waste treatment plant for a period of 30 years.

The project cost is estimated at R$80 million (US$36 million) per year. Brazil will finance 80% while the municipalities will finance the remaining 20%.

Minas Gerais governor Alberto Pinto Coelho said that this is the Belo Horizonte waste PPP project is the sixth PPP project that the state signs.

In late January Brazil's Minas Gerais re-tendered the administrative concession because it didn't receive bids for the project in December during the first tender process.


Share this news

Join us

In order to get full access to News section, you must have a full subscription. You can check all the benefits of becoming a member and purchase a subscription on our membership page.